BLOGGER TEMPLATES Funny Pictures

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Band Spotlight - Garbage

Garbage 

Hello there readers. Well, like I mentioned before in an early post, I am really into music and thought it would be fun to give some recognition to the bands I really like, whether they are still around or not. My first band I'd like to give spotlight to is Alternative Rock band, Garbage. 

If someone were to ask me who my favorite band of all time was, I can look upon them with a smile and spout the words "My favorite band would be Garbage". I always liked the looks I got from people who have never heard of them and go... "That's a band?". Haha I digress though, in my opinion, Garbage doesn't sound  like Garbage at all.

The band emerged in 1994 with band members, Shirley Manson (vocalist), Duke Erikson (bass, guitar, keyboards, percussion), Steve Marker (guitar, keyboards), and the producer of several 90s rock related albums such as Nirvana's "Nevermind", Butch Vig (drugs). They reached commercial success around 1995 with their hit singles "I'm only happy when  it rains" and "Stupid Girl". Their debut album also was a huge success. Despite a few struggles during the years after, the band has managed to stick around releasing 4 more albums over the decade and playing live shows. 

Garbage (Shirley, Duke, Steve, & Butch)

I first heard one of Garbage's songs when I was about 7 or 8 back in the 90s (1998 I believe). I was playing the 1st Gran Turismo game and their song "As Heaven is wide" would play a lot during the gameplay and I really loved the song but didn't know who sang it at the time. Soon after, I played Gran Turismo 2 and heard their song "I think I'm paranoid" and again, instantly fell in love with it. A few years later when I was in middle school, I was watching VH1 and a familiar song was playing. Struck with awe & amazement, I came to find it was the song "I think I'm paranoid" and when the music video ended, I got to see who the band was and from then on, it was utter matrimony. The year after, I went out and bought their debut album and needless to say, it was one of the best purchases I ever made. 

So why do i like this band so much? Well for one, I just love how experimental they were during their earlier years. You could feel the difference from 1995's "Garbage" to 1998's "Version 2.0" and even their more pop influenced album from 2002, "Beautiful Garbage". Personally, their debut will always be a person favorite as I just can't enough of their 90s alternative sound (you'll come to see, I'm quite the big 90s fan haha) but their later stuff is great too.Another reason I like them was due to their relating and thought-provoking lyrics. Sure, some of them are a bit cliche but I can't help but feel strong emotions when I hear a lot of the songs. Shirley's sensual, breathy yet hauntingly unique voice magnifies the songs as well.

I highly recommend giving this band a listen if you haven't, 

•Recommended Songs: "Stroke of Luck", "Push It", "Queer", "Vow", and "I'm only happy when it rains"

And with that all said, that concluded my first band spotlight. I apologize that I didn't go too in depth but I hope you found some enjoyment reading. Stay tuned for more!





0 comments: